One reason I love living in Denver is the FOOD. As a foodie and Denver local, I have tried my fair share of the city’s eateries. There are so many incredible places to go for various reasons (best, beer, best tacos, best atmosphere, etc). But in this blog, I wanted to share the top 5 on my list that have, in my opinion, adapted to the COVID restrictions exceptionally well.
#1: Happy Camper
Happy Camper is not your average pizza joint. With such unique options as the Carnit-za featuring pulled pork, cheddar, cheese, pico, tortilla chips, sour cream, and beans (drool), and an incredible cocktails menu, this is one of Denver’s coolest hang-out spots regardless of COVID restrictions. However, they have also taken the extra steps to make sure guests feel safe:
- Social Distancing: Tables are six feet apart and max out at ten people per table, no exceptions.
- Dining Time-Limits: There is a two-hour time limit for all guests. You must also wear your mask at all times unless you are at your designated table.
- Outdoor seating options: did I mention they have an incredible patio that is open all year long? You can even purchase blankets and hoodies to stay toasty while you dine.
For mouthwatering photos of their food and drink specials, check out Happy Camper’s Instagram profile.
#2: Jax Fish House
Jax’s is a LoDo Staple, serving up mouthwatering seafood recipes like a Lobster Roll BLT and Mexican Shrimp Garlic Mojo. They also have a specialty chilled seafood bar, featuring their famous oysters on the halfshell. In addition to their delicious food, Jax has taken careful steps* to ensure the health and safety of its customers.
- Digital Menus
- No-Touch payments
- Wellness questionnaire prior to entry
- Mandatory reservations
- Social distancing-tables are spaced at least six feet apart
- Max number of occupants per table, per state guidelines
- To-Go Meal Kits:
- The Cheesesteak Project: three delicious versions of a Philly Cheesesteak sub are available for delivery only. “Eight ounces of smoked prime rib” served with a side of Boulder chips. YUM!
- The Lasagna Project: these kits can be selected based on party size and include a ready-to-bake lasagna, caesar salad, garlic bread, and butterscotch pudding for dessert! You can even add on a bottle of wine or an order of calamari to make your at-home evening truly special.
- Giving Back: The Lasagna Project also allows you to buy an extra kit or make a donation for someone who may be food insecure.
*For a downloadable version of Jax’s safety protocols, click here.
#3 Angelo’s Taverna
Angelo’s greenhouse seating (left) and patio seating (right). Courtesy of http://www.angelostaverna.com
Angelo’s is the place for Italian comfort food: homemade pasta, oven-fired pizzas, and an awesome Happy Hour apps menu that includes charbroiled oysters and meatball sliders. They have implemented new protocols to adhere to COVID restrictions while still maintaining a laid-back atmosphere:
- Greenhouse dining: Angelo’s has a unique “greenhouse” setup that can accommodate up to seven groups of ten people. They have heating and vented ceilings to allow for air circulation between seatings. They are fully sanitized between groups, and there is a time limit to each reservation (1 hour 30 mins). Bonus: dogs are welcome!
- Patio seating: patio seating is also available and tables will seat no more than six guests. As with the greenhouse dining, a time limit is in place to allow for equal access and adequate sanitation. Lunch=1 hour 15 mins; Dinner=1 hour 30 mins.
- Indoor Dining Protocols:
- Timed seating when there is a wait (2 hour max)
- Employee temperature checks daily
- Tables spaced 6 feet apart
- Mandatory masks
- Frequently-touched surfaces sanitized every hour
Make sure to call ahead for reservations of the greenhouse or patio spaces. The Greenhouse, in particular, tends to book out a couple of weeks!
#4: My Brother’s Bar
If you’re craving a juicy hamburger or incredible deli sandwich (think egg salad, pastrami, tuna, turkey and swiss), Brother’s has you covered. They also have plenty of vegetarian options, such as grilled cheese and black bean veggie burgers. Pair your meal with one of their rotating craft brews. Stand outs for COVID protocol include:
- Patio seating: two spacious patios are available for outdoor dining. Tables are enclosed in zip-up pods with heating.
- Hand sanitizer: sanitizer is readily available at multiple locations within the restaurant
- Online ordering and delivery: customers can opt for pick-up or delivery through Grubhub and UberEats.
Bar bonus: this bar is quiet! There are no TV’s: just soft music and easy atmosphere.
Postino’s is a wine bar with delicious small plates designed for sharing. The bruschetta boards are especially popular (try the burrata, bacon, arugula, and tomato). If you’re not in the mood to share, try one of their delicious panini’s, like the prosciutto with brie and fig jam. Postino’s and its sister restaurants have implemented several innovative techniques to mitigate the spread of COVID, including:
- Misters: automated misting machines disinfect the space thoroughly and safely with non-toxic, food-safe sanitizer.
- Weekly professional-grade cleaning
- Handwashing at least every thirty minutes by employees
- Digital and single-use menus
- Socially distanced seating
- Complementary sanitizing stations throughout the restaurant
For more information on Postino’s health and safety response, click here.